Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The One I Love

How I would love for my creative abilities to flourish. It’s something I pray for all the time – but what am I doing with what I have? I look at the ways that God has blessed me; there are so many gifts I have that I leave untouched, how can I possibly ask for more? Its sad to say, but I don’t express myself creatively nearly as much as I should, both in a sense of my writing and drawing.

I’m trying to dive back into the world of creative expression. Last year, I had the opportunity to look back on the things that God had brought me through in life. I decided to write it down in a poem, and after writing it, I found that nothing articulates the testimony of what God has done in my life like this does.

Psalm to My Savior

When I was a young I rejoiced in you Lord;
As your child I knew your name.
As a Warrior you defied the schemes of the wicked;
You guarded me fiercely from all of sins rage.

You are a Mighty Mountain O Lord,
Yes you are the Boulder of Strength!
Forgive me God, for I ran from you though,
And collected stones to take your place.

With those rocks a fortress I built,
But soon it became a dungeon self-made.
Stumbling in the shadows I abandoned all hope;
Lost in the darkness I had forgotten your name.

But through the walls a voice I heard;
Within my heart a whisper did say,
“Please let me in to free you my child,
Allow me to come and heal all your pain”

Pride chained my wrists, and fear held my legs;
My heart grew cold, even numb, to the scars ache.
The lies reached deeper, a mirror being cracked;
But your love, it’s relentless - and Truth found a way.

The deceiver who held me was gripped with terror;
The darkness around me fled at your sight.
With arms of iron you tore down the walls;
The light of your love brought day to my night!

You opened my eyes with your hands of healing;
Without the darkness, now I could see.
But I fell to my knees at the sight of myself;
Covered in filth, I collapsed at your feet.

As a Father O Lord, you helped me back up;
Gently, you held me and said,
“Those dirty rags I will replace my child,
A robe of white you will wear instead!”

So that’s it. He walked with me. I ran from Him. Then He saved me from myself when I was sinking into darkness. He’s my hero … the King who called me from poverty to be a knight that sits around his table. His goodness is too great, the one I love – the one I need. Thank you Jesus, for picking me up and using my brokenness.

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

I love this. It resonates with me too. God bless you in your journey for wisdom. Those who seek shall find, eh?

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home